MTNMAMA

MTNMAMA
The original MTNMAMA

Sunday, January 19, 2014

California Cheesy Vegetable Soup

California Cheesy Vegetable Soup

This soup brings back lots of memories for me. I started making this soup as a "new wife" over 30 years ago. I had just discovered the "California Blend" frozen vegetables. This recipe was in a seasonal cookbook in the 1980's. Since then I make it as my "comfort" food when the air is cold and I need some "comforting". It is easy. I even put it all (except Cheese) in the crockpot on low for 4-6 hours then add cheese at the end. It only takes a few minutes for it to melt in the hot soup. Either way this is a quick soup that is full of veggies and flavor.


California Cheesy Vegetable Soup

Ingredients:

1 quart water

2 chicken bouilion cubes

1 cup dices celery

1/2 cup onion

2 1/2 cups diced peeled potatoes

1 cup diced carrots

1 pkg (16 ounces) frozen

California Blend Vegetables

2 cans (10 3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted

1 pound Velveeta cheese, cubes


Directions:

1. Bring water to boil in a large soup pot.

2. Add next six ingredients. Reduce heat and simmer, covered until all vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes.

3. Stir in chicken soup and cheese; cook until soup is heated through and the cheese is melted.

Yield - 3 quarts (10-12 servings)


Crock Pot Method

1. Combine all ingredients into the crock pot except the cheese.

2. Stir to combine.

3. Set on low for 4-6 hours.

4. Uncover and add cheese. Stir. Cook uncovered for 5- 10 minutes until cheese is melted.

This week I am enjoying time with the family among the "West Virginia" Hills. Last night we had a little snow to welcome me "home". Looking forward to lots of time with loved ones both family and friends. Time to read, sew, cook and rest. Isn't that what a real vacation is all about....doing the things you love to do but don't have time for in your daily living?!!!

We will see what great recipes we try this week!! I already have a baby quilt pulled from my mother's stash to start tomorrow.

Happy Trials,

Mtn Mama


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to let me know what you think!! I love hearing from you and making new friends!!