MTNMAMA

MTNMAMA
The original MTNMAMA

Sunday, December 8, 2013

Christmas Carols and Cookies

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year..............

Miss Ella started the day with Christmas Carols on the piano. She loves to sit on the bench and bang on keys while Nana sits there and attempts to play the carols. She laughs and we have the best time.

After carol singing we moved onto cookie baking. Miss Ella is an awesome cookie baking helper.

 

She has just the right elbow movement to get the cookies on the cookie sheet. What a joyful helper!!

Today we made Chocolate Mint Cookies. I have made Andes Mint Cookies for over 20 years. My original recipe required melting chocolate chips....chilling dough ... rolling balls of dough... baking .... unwrapping mints..... They were great but a LOT of work. This adaptation came from the Six Sisters' Stuff Cookbook.

It is made from a cake mix and I used the Andes Mint pieces so no unwrapping mints!!! So Easy!!

These cookies were fabulous....better than my original recipe.

Chocolate Mint Cookies

Ingredients:

 

1 Devil's Food Cake Mix ( 15.25 ounces)

1/2 cup oil

2 eggs

1 bag Andes Mint pieces or 1 bag Andes Mints

 

Preheat Oven to 350 degrees

 

 

1. In large bowl mix cake mix, oil and eggs together.

 

2. Drop spoonfuls of dough onto cookie sheets

 

I used a medium cookie scoop. I got 22 cookies out of one batch.

3. Bake for 6 to 9 minutes

 

I always use convection heat for my cookie baking. You can bake multiple pans at the same time because the air is circulated with the fan. To use convection put you oven temperature at 325 degrees.

4. Remove from oven. Place an unwrapped mint or a teaspoon of Ande Mint pieces on each cookie immediately out of the hot oven. I used the bag of pieces. It takes about 1/2 of a bag for a batch of cookies. It is a little messy....some pieces melt on the hot cookie sheets....but you don't have to unwrap the mints.

 

 

5. Let the cookie sit for 5 mintues. The mint will melt. Use a small knife to spread the mint a top the cookie like icing.

 

This is going to be my new go to recipe for a quick, delicious, soft and chewy, chocolatey mint cookie!!

 

I made a second batch to put in the freezer too

I layered them in a plastic container with wax paper. Good to go and great to have when I need them !!

Ella helped with the clean up which included a bucket of water to mop the floor. We got a bit messy!!

 

Happy Trails,

Mtn Mama

 

2 comments:

  1. What a great helper with a wonderful smile. I need to get a bag of mints and cake box this week and try making these cookies. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great!!! You are gonna LOVE making and eating these cookies. I also sprinkled some red and green sprinkles on top when the chocolate mint was still soft. Makes a pretty presentation for the holidays!!
      Merry Christmas!!

      Delete

Please feel free to let me know what you think!! I love hearing from you and making new friends!!