MTNMAMA

MTNMAMA
The original MTNMAMA

Monday, January 28, 2013

Easy Whole Grain Pumpkin-Banana Bread



It's Monday Morning!!!

 I hope this week finds you recharged and ready for all that God has planned for you.



Psalm 118:23-25 (New International Version)

23 the Lord has done this,
    and it is marvelous in our eyes.
24 The Lord has done it this very day;
    let us rejoice today and be glad.
25 Lord, save us!
    Lord, grant us success!
I am linking this beautiful picture of blue with Smiling Sally for Blue Monday.  There is a lot of "blue" going on over there.  Join the fun!!

Design Wall Monday
This is the last week of January so I am trying to knockout my January "Get it Done" list.  I have completed the "Holy Toledo" quilt and am using it to stay warm on these January cool nights while I sit and stitch.  The two Baby Boy quilts are finished and gifted.  Now I have to get Section 1 of Comfort and Joy completed.
I started working on it today.

These are humble beginnings but I will have it done by tomorrow I hope.  I am using homespuns from my scrapbag.  My favorite quilts are scrappy.
I am linking up with Judy L at Patchwork Times for Design Wall Monday.  Check out all the projects going on over there!
I changed the quilt in my office this week.  Here's a pix!






 This was a Thimbleberries Block of the Month many years ago.  I dug it out of my "quilt closet" to brighten the wall during this time of year.  It looks good with the gold wall and makes my students smile....and me too!!











Over the Weekend I made some great quick bread that combined Bananas, Pumpkin and whole grain flour.
This recipe is from the King Arthur Flour website. 
 Enjoy!!
Easy Whole Grain Pumpkin-Banana Bread

Ingredients:
1/2 cup soft butter
2/3 cup brown sugar
3 Tablespoons Honey
2 large eggs
1 cup pureed pumpkin
1 cup mashed bananas
2 tablespoons orange juice or water
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup diced pecans
Coarse white sparking sugar

Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 350.  Lightly grease an 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 loaf pan.  I am using my smaller stone pans again because I love the size and I am also doubling the recipe because I had a lot of ripe bananas.

2.  In a large mixing bowl beat together the butter


Brown Sugar


Honey and Pumpkin


Bananas


orange juice or water, eggs (2) and vanilla.



Mix together with mixer until just blended.
3.  Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in another bowl.   Stir to combine.


4.  Mix in the nuts


 5.  Combine the dry ingredients into the wet batter a little at a time.  Mixing until all the dry ingredients are incorporated into the batter.

It should look like this.
6.  Spoon the batter into the prepared pan.  Sprinkle with the coarse white sugar on top of the batter in the pans.
7.  Allow the batter to rest for 15 minutes, uncovered at this point.
8.  Bake the bread for 55 to 70 minutes, or until a cake tester or toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean.



 9.  Remove the bread from the oven, and cool on a rack.  When completely cook, wrap it well in plastic wrap and store it overnight before serving.

I found this bread to be moist and have a great flavor, more like banana but very moist like pumpkin.  The pecans give a great flavor boost also.   Remember I doubled the recipe and used smaller pans so I have more than the 1 loaf the recipe makes.  
Hope you give this a try and let me know how you like it!!

Easy Whole Grain Pumpkin-Banana Bread

 Ingredients:
1/2 cup soft butter
2/3 cup brown sugar
3 Tablespoons Honey
2 large eggs
1 cup pureed pumpkin
1 cup mashed bananas
2 tablespoons orange juice or water
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup diced pecans
Coarse white sparking sugar

Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 350.  Lightly grease an 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 loaf pan.  I am using my smaller stone pans again because I love the size and I am also doubling the recipe because I had a lot of ripe bananas.

2.  In a large mixing bowl beat together the butter

2.  In a large mixing bowl beat together the butter, sugar, honey, eggs, pumpkin, banana, orange juice or water, and vanilla.

 Mix together with mixer until just blended.

 3.  Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in another bowl.   Stir to combine.

 4.  Mix in the nuts

  5.  Combine the dry ingredients into the wet batter a little at a time.  Mixing until all the dry ingredients are incorporated into the batter.


6.  Spoon the batter into the prepared pan.  Sprinkle with the coarse white sugar on top of the batter in the pans.

 7.  Allow the batter to rest for 15 minutes, uncovered at this point.

8.  Bake the bread for 55 to 70 minutes, or until a cake tester or toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean.
  9.  Remove the bread from the oven, and cool on a rack.  When completely cook, wrap it well in plastic wrap and store it overnight before serving.

I am linking up with Stone Gable On the Menu Monday.  Check out all the great food being shared!
 
Happy Trails,

Mtn Mama
 

































 

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful verse. And wonderful start to Monday. God spoke these same thoughts to me this morning. Or was it last night? I haven't been sleeping well. Too many things going on. Thank you for sharing this and allowing God to speak through you to me today. You should link to Smiling Sally at Blue Monday since you did the verse in Blue. I link too come by and see me and follow me to Sally's. You'll like my post. I am with you trying to finish projects. I am on the end stretch of my first queen size quilt. Quilting on my machine. Wow. It is beautiful at least to me. I love the quilt your working on. Can't wait to see the finish. I know the banana bread lovers will enjoy. I skimmed past it. No bananna for me. Ick! Have a wonderful week.
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing. I look forward to reading your comment on my blog.

    Happy 1st Blue Monday, MTN.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks delicious! Catching up with Blue Monday.

    My BLUE, come and see.

    Your comment is always appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great block and your banana bread recipes look yummy! Thanks for sharing.
    Freemotion by the River Linky Party Tuesday

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to let me know what you think!! I love hearing from you and making new friends!!