MTNMAMA

MTNMAMA
The original MTNMAMA

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Cinnamon Raisin Walnut Bread

Wednesday - A Most Important Day







This is the day we have been waiting for. Today is my son-in- laws oral boards for Radiology. He completes his residency the end of June. He has already passed his written boards and after today will complete the testing process to become a board certified Radiologist. He won't know the results for several weeks but at least it will all be over. He is going to hop in the car tomorrow and head for Tulsa. He wants to see Jeff and of course Jenny and Miss Ella. YEAH!!

Hey Daddy it's me ...Ella!! Good luck on your BIG test!!

Here's hoping you kick........

the Bumble Bee on your boards for me!!

Love you and can't wait to see you tomorrow!! Till then I think I'll just eat and sleep!!



Jeff is doing better today and we are going to take a shower this afternoon. He has had two rounds of the chemo agent Dacogen. He seems to be stable and has not had a fever in 24 hours. YEAH!!!

I am spending most of my waking hours here with him but I do have a variation on one of the bucket breads we made earlier to share with you today. Jeff loves cinnamon toast and whenever he doesn't feel well that is what he craves. The comfort of the warm bread, cinnamon and butter speak to his soul. So I have been making my variation of cinnamon bread for him. I am finishing a bucket today that has been in my fridg for a week.



CINNAMON RAISIN WALNUT BREAD

BASIC BUCKET BREAD RECIPE:

6 1/2 cups All purpose flour

1 1/2 tablespoon kosher salt

1 1/2 tablestoon yeast

3 cups warm water



To the basic recipe I add:

1 tablespoon cinnamon

1 cup chopped walnuts

1 cup raisins



Mix all together thoroughly with dough wisk or large wooden spoon. (See previous post on Bucket Bread and Babies for method)



Let stand at room temp for 2 hours until doubled and then refrigerate for up to 10 days. The dough on the left is the cinnamon raisin dough.

Remove a large grapefruit size ball from the bucket. Sprinkle surface with four and roll the dough to a rectangle about 9 x 14.



Smear the surface of the dough with room temperature butter, about 4 tablespoons, or whatever you need to coat the surface.

Sprinkle the butter with a mixture of cinnamon and sugar. I use 1 cup sugar to 1 tablespoon cinnamon. Add desired amount. We like it covered in a thick layer.



Roll the dough long ways into a log. Being careful as you go to include all that goodness inside. Tuck the ends underneath and secure by pinching. Pinch the dough together where the log ends also.


Place in a greased standard size loaf pan. I am using my lodge cast iron loaf pans. They are HEAVY but I love them. They cook evenly and brown the surface perfectly.


Place in preheated oven - 400 degrees.
Bake for 35 minutes until golden brown on top.

Remove and let sit in pan 10 minutes. Then remove to cooling rack.
Slice and serve. Delicious warm or toasted!!





We love this bread and have been known to add more cinnamon on top when serving. This is a real comfort food that will take you back to your childhood.

Let me know how you like the bread!! Don't be afraid to use yeast. Remember this is the easiest, best tasting yeast bread you can make. Believe me I have made a lot of bread through the years and I know what I am talking about.

ENJOY!!!

HAPPY TRAILS,

Mtn Mama



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to let me know what you think!! I love hearing from you and making new friends!!